Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Developing a Scholarly Identity

When I first embarked on graduate studies way back in the year 2000, I wasn't clear on what I wanted to do with that degree...that is, beyond doing what I was already engaged in, but better. But you know, life happens! The 'doing what I was already engaged in' part of my story unraveled rather fast. And I found myself with a masters degree but without a job. However, in my two years in that graduate school, I developed a strong desire to study leadership, inspired by events in the school, in my local church, and in my previous work experience as a school teacher.

Even though my job unraveled, I was able to 'reposition' myself by going for further studies, this time traveling abroad to the middle of the cornfields of Ohio to start graduate studies in leadership and organization development. And once again, I had no clear goal in mind as to what I would do with the degrees once completed. All I knew was that, this was the next step to take. It didn't take too long though to start figuring out what ought to come next.

In August 2004, a friend invited me to accompany her to the Academy of Management annual meeting which was being held in New Orleans. This was my first ever academic conference, and though I was not presenting any papers there, I learned a lot about the options for graduate students and the culture of academe. I made friends with a student from New York, and another from Switzerland, and with my friend, we became four women graduate students supporting each other until all of us graduated. We are still friends and still support each other in our professional development. As I soon learned, this is one of the advantages of attending academic conferences.

I have been to many academic conferences since then - University Council for Education Administration, American Educational Research Association (AERA), Eastern Academy of Management International (EAMI), International Leadership Association, even one African Studies Association meeting. Yes, I am unapologetic in my transdisciplinary orientation, (though these days I can only attend one conference either AERA or AOM, in addition to ILA, partly because I needed to define my academic home more closely, and partly because the money to attend more conferences simply isn't available). I have even been to a few National Communication Association annual meetings- my first year there, I spoke with a  SUNY Press acquisitions editor about my book idea, and the rest, as they say is history (they published my book in 2010). Well, she was the 4th or 5th acquisition editor I spoke to at that conference, all the rest rejected my book idea. Yes, rejection is part of academic culture too...you just dust yourself off and move to the next editor/journal until you find one that will publish your work.

Attending academic conferences and presenting papers (conceptual, empirical, your developing research, your research reports, literature reviews), are one of the most important ways to develop a scholarly identity. A lot of the publications you see as books and articles quite possibly began life in the marketplace of ideas as academic conference presentations. So I want to encourage you to look for at least one academic conference in your discipline that you will make your home, and make an effort to attend the annual meetings. In the US, there is always the option of attending the regional meetings of the national associations, which are likely to be closer to your geographic location and cheaper as far as registration costs and hotel accommodations. For example, this year Eastern Academy of Management  annual meeting will be in my hometown of Philadelphia in May, so though I missed the deadline to submit a paper, I plan on attending. After all, it will only cost me the registration fee. I might also attend African Studies Association since their meeting is also in Philadelphia.

I cannot possibly overemphasize the need and urgency of becoming a member and attending these disciplinary professional association meetings/conferences. From them, you will receive mentoring into the profession,  and join a community of like-minded individuals who can be co-researchers, critical readers of your work, and even your future employers. All the academic professional associations offer programming specifically aimed at meeting the needs of graduate students - from feedback sessions on dissertations, to advise on the job search process, to training in research methods and directions on how to get published. Most include not just scholars, but reflective practitioners invested in their continuing professional development with whom you can network. You would get to meet with graduate students from not just other institutions, but other countries too, who can become part of your network of co-researchers, conference co-presenters, and who would offer you the support you will surely need to complete your dissertation, and later if you join the academy, to survive the tenure track.

I recognize that all the conferences I have mentioned have their 'home base' in the US. However, there are conferences taking place in Europe, Australia/NZ, Asia, and even my home continent of Africa all the time. For example, in January 2013, Academy of Management will hold its first Africa conference in South Africa. The International Congress of Psychology will hold its 2012 conference in Cape Town, South Africa in July 2012. The International Congress of Cross Cultural Psychology will hold their bienniel conference in Stellenbosch, South Africa also in July 2012. And these are just the ones I am aware off, there are probably many more such conferences happening in other parts of the continent and for a variety of disciplines/professional associations. Furthermore, apart from these kinds of international conferences, universities host smaller localized conferences to which you can either submit or attend as audience member, that would also be good opportunities for networking and getting involved. Whatever your geographic location, I would recommend that you find out what is happening around you and beyond, see what you can afford to attend (some conferences will offer free registration to graduate students willing to serve in the conference), and get involved. You will be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. Your suggestion to attend regional conferences is priceless. I have been searching for ways to expand my intellectual curiosity beyond those of a student whose time is extremely limited. Regional conferences may offer a chance to network in my current profession and expand my reach to new possibilities. A new avenue of possibilities has arrived.

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to share your own experiences, point readers to other sources on the web, or ask questions that I will be glad to answer either in the comment thread or as new posts. Thank you!